New Release March 2014
We just sent a gorgeous email announcing our new release which only covered the tip of the iceberg. I wanted to spend a few minutes and to give you a full account of what’s happened and will be happening:
Here is the full list of interesting changes:
- To-Do Subscriptions: You can now subscribe multiple people to a To-Do and they will be notified of all events that take place with that To-Do. This is our answer to “Multiple Assignees to To-Do’s” which we hope will be a sufficient resolution allowing you to assign the responsibility to multiple people by making sure they are kept up to date with the To-Do.
- Mobile Support: This is only the first installment of our Mobile support improvements. It lets you fully view 90% of our applications, and even make some light editing. This is not meant to replace what a Native Application offering will give you, however we are truly tired of opening our website on our Mobile devices and not being able to quickly see what’s happening… and we’re sure you are too. Ps: We’ve gone one step further, if you add our app to your home screen via Safari it will have an awesome custom FC icon so it’s easy to spot when you launch it through your phone’s home screen.
- Inline Images in Comments: We are starting with comments and will add this feature everywhere we can. This release has had some major focus on our comments because they are pretty much the core of all discussions in Freedcamp. From To-Do’s to Discussions, comments are it. You can now quickly show and share images directly inline with your text. We believe this will have tremendous improvement in the quality of comments.
- Stunning New Comments: Something we announced a little while ago was that we’ve been able to secure a new designer who in our opinion is a super hero. Well he’s pulled his sleeves back and is starting to revamp the entire experience of Freedcamp. You should expect some serious facelifts in almost every next release this year. Our system will be eye candy that you won’t get enough of. You should love the place you work, and we’ll make sure that is the case.
- Friendly Logouts: If you wrote a long comment only to lose it when you clicked submit because you were logged out of our system you surely know this is not ok. And we do too! So we decided to do something about it, if you have a long Discussion written, or even a large To-Do, you will not lose anything if you click submit when you are logged out. Instead we will ask you to type in your credentials and submit the item for you! Nothing lost. Its the little things that will make Freedcamp the ultimate workplace for any business.
- Accept Invites from Any Email: It has only taken us 4 years to realize that people use Freedcamp for everything from Weddings and Camping Trips to Software Projects and everything in between. With that said many users accidentally created multiple accounts because they were invited to their “person” address yet wanted to accept with their “work” one and vice-versa. As of today you can accept invitations from any email you’d like. Allowing you to only have one Freedcamp account for all your awesome projects.
- The all powerful Action Bar: We are constantly trying to make the experience of using Freedcamp better, faster, and just plain elegant. To do this we have added an awesome feature that makes the Item Action Bar to follow you down the page as you read through comments. We realized how much of an issue this was when our discussions got out of hand (60+ comments) and you wanted to close a To-Do after you read the latest comment… 35 and 1/2 scrolls up you finally could click “Mark as Completed”. Now no scrolls required! Instant satisfaction.
Things you may not notice or care about:
- Choosing who to notify when adding a new item (which was just added to To-Do’s) is now using an awesome Multi-Select widget that lets you quickly sort a list of people in your project and select them all much quicker. This only will really have an effect on your and your team if you have more than 10 people in a project. So to you guys, you are welcome.
- The entire system now uses Helvetica Neue font instead of Arial. If you are not a designer this probably means nothing. However if you are using the system today and you feel just a slight bit more productive, yup that’s why.
Where are backups?
So we’ve been talking about the ability to export your data offline… and we’ve been saying it’s right around the corner. This is true now. However due to security concerns we have we would like to spend extra time testing and verifying all is well executed. We take the safety of your data very very seriously. Along the backups feature we’ve been beefing up everything about our servers and their security. Anyways stay tuned, we’re hopeful to launch this in 2 weeks.
How did you do all this in two weeks?
A little known fact: Freedcamp has had only 1 (one) full time employee for all of 2013. The rest of us have been working part time. As of 2 weeks ago the team (Alex, Katya, Dima, Angel, Igor, Vadym, Bart) is all working full time. What this means for you is solid updates every ~2 weeks for the next year. We have a lot of amazing plans and now have the team to execute them. We are now much closer to our goal of becoming the last workplace you will need online.
Please be a part of the decision making process and give us ideas or vote one existing ones here.