Create reports with Data Feed Links

Data feed links allow you to create your own dynamic reports. You can share or post them back to Freedcamp, share them as a static image, or a dynamic chart for your team and clients.

Essentially we allow you to enable a unique link (URL) returning up to date Tasks data every time it is accessed. This ability allows to use such links in a spreadsheet file. Below we explain how to use this functionality with Google Sheets IMPORT_DATA() function to create reports.

It’s a free feature in Freedcamp.

We created sample Google Sheet file for you which contains some reports. Please feel free to copy it and give it a try. All you have to do is to follow our instructions shared on the first sheet. Please share formulas and ideas of your reports and extra data you want to be exposed with us.

NOTE: Google Docs documentation says that IMPORT_DATA() function will pull data one every hour but we found that it is getting updated about every 20 minutes.

Once you have your reports ready you can share results with your team by any means. To capture a static report – save it as an image and post it inline.

Static Graph

You can post inline images to Tasks, Issues, Discussions, Pro Subtasks descriptions and comments as well as Wikis in Freedcamp. You can also upload images to your Reports folder in Files. See an example below:

Freedcamp Development
tasks created vs tasks completed as at 13 August 2016

Tasks Created vs tasks completed

In Google Sheets you can also grab an embed HTML code allowing you to publish your report which will change as new data are pulled into your Google Sheet from Freedcamp. See how:

Publish chart

Now switch to source mode in Freedcamp and add your chart.

Freedcamp Development tasks created vs tasks completed
(updates every hour)

We describe how to use source mode to embed your mind maps and videos here and here.

Anyone with the link can view this data feed. It is a read only functionality – having the link does not allow a person to change your Freedcamp tasks data but only to see data as a CSV file. We provide a secure and unique link similar to DropBox and GDrive functionality, where everyone having a link can access it without additional authorization.

Only Tasks application is currently supported. Want to have data feeds for Time, Milestones, Issue Tracker or data feeds for project groups? Please post your request.

Check how to enable this functionality and manage it in Freedcamp’s documentation.

1. Josh Jordan says

Cool feature, but I haven’t been able to test it because I am not listed as the project owner. The permissions for data feeds don’t make sense, unfortunately. If I can view data, I should be able to export it – users are going to find a way to do that if they can see it in any form.

It is unfortunate that Freedcamp still doesn’t have an API. For me, in my use case of trying to connect my Freedcamp tasks to my personal todo list, this means that I am going to be exporting my full task list to Excel and parsing it. Why am I able to export the full task list to Excel, but not use a data feed?

2. Farhad Sultanov says

Thanks for the feature. The Data dump differs when data is exported from the Global Task Board and hen exported from within each individual project. I feel the mapping that was done for the attached excel file was made from the data exported from an individual project, so when I export the complete data for all projects from Global Task Board it didn’t map.

• Igor Kryltsov says

Hi Farhad,

Thanks! Do you want us to prepare another template to work with Global tasks Board feed?

3. Farhad Sultanov says

Ideally to prevent future mismatches it would be great to have the data extraction to be mapped for individual projects in the same format as the data extracted from Global Tasks. However, I sure wouldn’t mind a template for Global Task Board feed… my main struggle is remapping the last Calculated Data Sheet.

4. Igor Kryltsov says

Hi Farhad,

We will add project name and project group name columns to a project feed and we will fix template asap so it will work with both types of links.

Cheers,
    Igor

5. Farhad Sultanov says

Awesomeness. Cheers!

6. Igor Kryltsov says

@Farhad – done (moved project name and project group name columns back). Now you can use provided template for both types of feeds – one project or many projects.

7. Celeste says

A dummy question: Where do I need to take the ‘data feed link’ from (to be pasted behind IMPORTDATA)? I tried the URL of a taskboard but it doesn’t work…

8. Matthew Longmate says

I was just having a quick look at importing into Excel – whilst I can download and import a csv file where I know the filename from a HTTP source using ‘import a text file’ the direct freedcamp API call that produces the csv does not seem to have a consistent filename due to the timestamp appended to the end of it.

Do you have any thoughts of how I might be able to achieve the same effect as you have with Google docs in MS Excel?

FYI – not personally wedded to Excel but the organisations I support block google drive and docs amongst other similar tools.

Many thanks

• Igor Kryltsov says

Please email us help@freedcamp.com and give us some more info – I amnot sure what is the question, sorry.

9. Junaid Qadir says

Awesome!
    I tried it and seems like works for my team.
    One problem though, Timestamps for progress start and end is not in the csv.

• Igor Kryltsov says

Hey,

We do not track progress status change now as it can change from Not started to In progress and backwards. We plan to integrate Time Tracking with Tasks soon. Will it help?

Cheers,